Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Amish Country

Yesterday, our friend Bonnie Ramon from the White Plains 2nd Ward invited us to go with her to the Amish community that is around our area. 
I was so excited, for a couple of  reasons
 I have been reading Amish novels for a few years and have grown
to love the Amish people.  
Also to spend some special time together and get to know Bonnie better. 
Plus to get to interact with the Amish was exciting to me.
We first stopped at a cute store called "Everything Amish", and I found some great Christmas gifts. The store was filled with beautiful handmade furniture, hand sewen quilts, and other items. it was so much fun to see all the handcrafted things.  Then we drove around the countryside and stopped at a roadside stand owned by the Yoder family.  They had all kinds of wonderful produce and baked goods and home canned jams, jellies, pickles and fruit.  I bought some yummy cookies, oatmeal raisin and snickerdoodles, some home made oatmeal bread and whole wheat bread, a bottle of pickled beets and some elderberry jam.  Also bought an Amish cookbook.  The two ladies in the booth were Barbara a younger girl and Anna Yoder an older lady.  They were so nice and we had such a fun time visiting with them. I knew I couldn't take a picture of them but I asked if I could take a picture of their horse and buggy and they agreed.  Anna gave us her recipe for coconut cream pie.. I will have to get it from Bonnie who wrote it down and share it with all of you.  While driving down the road we saw a horse drawn buggy.. I wasn't fast enough to get a good picture of it, but was excited to see it.  November is the wedding month and I was told that most of the Amish were preparing for the weddings in their families during this time of year. 



 An Amish farm.. So well attended and maintained.
We are going to go out again soon and visit some more locations and I am sure during the time I am here in Maryland I will have the opportunity to see and visit with many of the Amish.

No comments:

Post a Comment