Then we started our visits for the week.. One of the sisters we visit is Eva. She is such a hoot.. She is 78 and doesn't let a thing get by her.. She is so fun to tease and gives it right back.. and has the greatest laugh. Her neighbor Maria was there when we arrived and before we left we were talking about the Trunk or Treat coming up on Weds. night and she said she wanted to go, so we asked if they would go with us.. they agreed.
That afternoon we went over to the church to clean the bathrooms and clean the church a little before the viewing of on of the sisters who passed away this past week. Sister Giessler was 93 years old and had lived here for a long time and we knew that there would be a lot of people attending the viewing and the funeral the next day and we wanted the church to be clean. We then helped set up the room for the viewing and stayed a while at the viewing.
That evening was the College Park Ward's "Trunk or Treat". We picked up Eva and Maria and headed over to the church.. They had games for the kiddos, a costume parade and contest. A pumpkin carving contest, a hot dog dinner and a dessert contest.. then everyone headed outside for the Trunk or Treat.. We told the elders that we would bring the candy if they would use their car and hand it out, they thought that was a great idea... When we approached their car we saw the trunk was ajar and we decided to put our candy there before we went inside.. When we opened the trunk.... surprise it was filled with "2" missionaries.. They laughed and thought it was so funny.. How they both got in there, we couldn't figure out.. It was a very fun evening and the kids and parents both had a great time.
Thursday morning we arrived at the first house and there was a man and woman standing across the street talking, we greeted them and then walked up the sidewalk to the house. As we were walking I said, " wouldn't it be funny if that is Linda". Then the lady across the street came into the yard.. we asked her if she was Linda and she said "yes, I am".. We went into her house and had a very nice visit.. The first thing she said was " I just want you to know that I am not a practicing Mormon", we said oh that's no problem, we just wanted to come meet you and get to know you better. We talked about a lot of things and she was very warm and friendly. She is divorced and has a long time friend living with her who is also divorced. Her friend is a realtor and was on her way to see a new property. So she left and we kept talking to Linda. When we were getting ready to leave we asked if we could have a prayer and she said yes, and scooted over close to us. We were so touched by Linda and hope we put a little spark in her to maybe come back to church. We told her we would come back to see her again and she said that would be great.. I felt so good when we left her home, such a sweet lady.
On our shopping trip I discovered that the Target here is 2 stories, it has huge elevators that you can take your shopping cart down to the lower level.. so cool and the other cool thing is that the Safeway store has an underground parking garage.. with an escalator up to the store.. and an elevator also..
I received an e-mail from a sister Beckes who lives in
Saturday morning we had a mission conference with 2 visiting authorities. Elder Quentin L. Cook and his wife & Elder Matthew Eyring. It was for our entire mission, young elders and sisters, senior couples and senior sisters. Sister Cook, said she loves to think of the words of the hymns when she is needing help in bringing the spirit into her life and challenged us to think of an attribute of the savior and try to come up with as many songs that sang of that characteristic. She asked for members of the audience to see how many they could come up with for the word obedience.. some were: Do as I'm doing, Come follow me, Called to Serve, I'm trying to be like Jesus & Keep the Commandments. She loves to sing and has led many choirs, so she had us sing a song and taught us a rhythm to sing along with the song, then she divided the room and half sang the melody and half sang the rhythm part.
- President Antoniak of the Stake Presidency: It is critical that we know where we are going and which road to take to get there. Many are like
in Wonderland and will take any path because they don't have a goal. Alice
- Mary Jean Sokolowsky: shared her love for family history work and the joy it brings to her.
- President Pratt of the temple presidency: talked about the temple and the blessings of attending the temple. He is such an amazing speaker and his stories are always so fun to listen to.
- Brother Matthew Eyring: He asked is going to the temple a priority for you? Is it on your calendar? If it isn't on your calendar it isn't a priority. After the meeting, I stopped to talk to him. I asked him if he grew up living next door to Connie and Bob Rose.. He said "I did" and I told him that Connie was a friend that I had grown up with and still kept in touch with. He said my parents still live next door to them.
- Elder Quentin L. Cook: shared some of the things about missionary work that he had shared that morning in our mission conference. He counseled parents that no young man or woman should serve a mission before they are ready.
- What does it mean to love the Lord with all our heart, mind, might & strength? We should love him by keeping the commandments. To feed his sheep through our acts of kindness and service.
- Happiness is a choice.
- Our spiritual lives are like a relay race, we pass the spiritual baton to our children and they to their children.
- 4 things for a happier life - Pray, Read the scriptures at least 5 minutes a day, Keep the standards 100%, and Smile.
- We should use the Savior as our primary example
- Try to build faith in Jesus Christ.
- Follow President Monson's wonderful example to rescue those in need by giving selfless service. He is always grateful.
We are keeping an eye on the up-coming storm and planning on staying in Monday and probably Tuesday.. from all accounts this will be a bad one and the power lines around here are always doomed in bad storms.. So we are ready. we have water, food and flashlights.. Come on ahead