Christmas Eve morning I was able to stay in and get presents wrapped before we left for the visitors center at . It had started to snow and you know how excited I get when I see it start to snow.. well it didn't last long, but we did have some big flakes for a while. The visitors center was very busy that evening, everyone coming to look at the beautiful lights and come inside and see the 92 nativity sets and the beautiful trees and the wonderful performance. The missionaries that were helping with the parking that evening were from the Washington DC South mission. I told them all about a "new sister" missionary that was coming to their mission very soon from my home ward in
I have met many of the young men missionaries from
Elders Eatnshaw & Wilson
On Christmas morning we had our mission Christmas party. We all met at the VC in the auditorium first to have a group picture taken. It was the 180 missionaries serving in the DC North mission. The young elders and sisters and the senior couples.. The photographer comes from SLC. to take our picture, I can't wait to see it.. We then got to hear President and Sister Matsumori share some thoughts and stories with us and then we watched the movie "Elf".. It is so fun to watch it with all the missionaries.. they laughed and laughed and loved it.. so did I. We then presented the gifts to President and Sister Matsumori from all of us. The young missionaries gave them scripture covers and a book with pictures and thoughts from each of them. Then we gave them the Picture we had made for them and the basket of all the goodies we had gotten for them from the senior missionaries.. They loved it all and were so appreciative.
that we had triple matted and framed.
Sister Brown from Mesa
Sisters Bowman & Aldridge
Two of my favorites are a picture of the 4 young sisters and myself all from
Don't you just love the Christmas season, filled with such a wonderful spirit of love. I have gotten so see several friends this week.. Kim is a friend from
This weeks performances at the VC:
- Christmas Eve, The sister missionaries: performed in song and instrumentals. They are all so talented and the music was so beautiful. Many have multiple talents; piano, cello, voice, flute and violin. My favorite song that they sang was "Breath of Heaven". It is such a joy to see the amazing talent in these beautiful young women.
- Voices 4 Contemporary Vocal Quartet: this group is comprised of Justin & Heather Hart, Merilee Spencer & Devin Toma. Members of Voices 4: have performed across the globe in solo and ensemble performances from Broadway to classical concerts, from summer stock stages to the recording studio. For this special event, these four fantastic voices are coming together for an evening of entertaining and stirring music featuring well-loved tunes of the Christmas season. I loved this performance..
- Harbor City Music Company from
: Harbor city Music Company Show Chorus is an award winning women's chorus comprised of 65 members from the surrounding Baltimore counties. Members of the chorus range in age from the mid twenties to mid eighties. A very fun performance to watch.. Maryland
- Pickwick Players - Vocal Ensemble: The Pickwick Players is a double-quartet of singers and actors who sing in a variety of styles, and accompany their music with readings and stories that help the audience appreciate the settings and background of their selections
- Feliz Navidad: Feliz Navidad is a group of 18 musicians from
different Latin American countries who performed
Holidaymusic traditional to Latin America. The entire program was done in Spanish. It was fantastic.. I Loved it..
- Trifecta- Holiday jazz trio: Trifecta is a trio of musicians from the US Army
Band "Pershing's Own" and the US Air Force Band who play
saxophone, bass and piano. This will be the third year in a row that they
have performed at the Festival of Lights, and they have become a huge
audience favorite. Bishop Vance from my
2nd Ward played the saxophone.. What a fun evening, they were fantastic and the theater was packed. White Plains
Follow your dreams singers -
"Scrooge, the musical": this group
of gifted singers based in
Northern Virginiaperformed excerpts from "Scrooge, the Musical," a Holidaytreat for the entire family. This talented troupe of performers produced the musical Les Miserables earlier in 2012, and in 2013 will be producing the musical Fiddler On the Roof.
"The better part of one's life consists of his friendships".
"The message of this season that is applicable throughout the year lies not in the receiving of earthly presents and treasures but in the forsaking of selfishness and greed and in going forward, seeking and enjoying the gifts of the Spirit, which Paul said are 'love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance." James E. Faust